I just got my Flic, what do I do now?
A good approach is to follow these easy steps:
- Once out of the box, click Flic and see a pulsating red light.
- Download the Flic app from your app store.
- Open the app. Create an account or login with your existing Flic account.
- Connect your Flic by following the instructions in the app.
- Tap the Flic symbol in the app to set up actions.
- Choose your favorite app or feature for Click, Double Click and Hold.
- Click “add” in the top right corner for iOS or “save action” in the bottom right corner for Android to save the app or feature.
How do I choose an action for my Flic?
A good approach is to follow these easy steps:
- Make sure that you are in the Flic app and that you are logged in with your Flic account.
- If you have multiple Flics, press the Flic you would like to set up. Identify the correct Flic symbol in the app by watching it bounce.
- Tap the bouncing Flic symbol in the app to move to the action set up page.
- Choose which trigger (Click, Double click or Hold) you want to connect to an action. You do this by clicking on the plus sign next to each trigger.
- Choose your favorite actions for the specific trigger. Some actions require additional input from you. If this is the case, please follow the in app instructions
- Click Add (top right corner).
- You are good to go! Push your Flic!
The red pulsating light is really cool. What does it mean?
Flic pulsates red when pressed if it is not in range of the device it was paired with or is not connected to any device.
Will Flic work when the Flic app is running in the background or when the app is closed?
Your Flic works together with the Flic app like this:
- Flic app is running and is in the foreground: All Flic actions can be triggered.
- Flic app is running in the background and the device is unlocked: All Flic actions can be triggered. On iOS, some actions may require you to tap a notification first.
- Flic app is running in the background and the device is locked: The huge majority of Flic actions can be triggered. Some actions can be limited by the platform or by the operating system. On iOS, some actions may require you to tap a notification first.
- Flic app is closed (you have manually closed the app):
- For iOS, Flic actions cannot be triggered.
- For Andriod, The huge majority of Flic actions can be triggered. Some actions can be limited by the platform or by the operating system.
Will my Flic only trigger actions on my devices, or is there a risk that I can control someone else’s device with my Flic?
Your Flic is locked to your device and to the Flic app on your device. Your Flics, and their actions, are also saved to your account. If you have shared Flic to other users or devices, Flic will be connected to the device that it first had a chance of connecting to. Flic can only be connected to one device at a time and will always try to connect to a device that has previously paired with it.
Will my Flics be saved to my accounts?
Yes! Your Flics, and their actions, are saved to your account. This means that you don’t have to worry about reconfiguring of your Flics if you sign out or if you change your phone.
Why are some actions triggered directly, while some actions require that I tap the push notification that pops up on the screen?
Flic is great to use for actions which do not require you to interact with your screen. For all these actions, no push notification is needed. For actions and functionality where you interact with the device screen, the push notification is used to start the action or third party app. The main reason for this is because there are limitations in the operating systems to unlock the device and launch an app. Flic still provides extreme shortcuts for apps that require push notifications. Instead of having to open each app to complete an action, simple press the notification and the action will be completed for you.
Can I share my Flics with friends and family or across multiple devices?
Yes! You can share your Flics in the following way:
- Share Flic with another device. You can Share Flic so it works on more devices than your own, and so that it works differently on each device. To achieve this:
- Turn off Bluetooth on the device that is already connected to your Flic.
- Make sure that Flic pulsates in red when you click it.
- Press and hold down Flic for at least 6 seconds.
- Connect Flic to the other device and configure its settings on that device. Flic will now operate on the device it is currently connected to. Flic will connect to the first device it can find, and cannot operate on more than one device simultaneously.
How do I change my Flic to another device?
Make sure that the Flic is not currently connected to any device. If the Flic was previous connected to a device, you can either:
- Disconnect the Flic from that device: Tap the Flic symbol in the Flic app to set up actions. Use the menu (three dots) in the top right corner. Push disconnect.
- Make sure that the previous device is not reachable for the Flic (for example, you can turn off Bluetooth on the previous device or walk more than 150 meters (500 ft) from the previous device).
Click and hold the Flic for at least 6 seconds, in order to make the Flic searchable for the new device. Connect the Flic to the new device and Flic app.
In the main menu of the app, there is a tab called “Providers”. What is this?
In order to trigger some specific actions with your Flic (for example control your Philips Hue lights, or use Spotify on iOS) you need to sign in to the specific third party service (in this example, sign in to Philips Hue or to Spotify). Under the tab “Providers” you will find these providers and be able to connect the Flic app to their services.
What is a Flic action?
An action is what happens when you click a Flic, e.g. “Find my phone”. You can set different actions to happen for the three triggers that Flic supports: click, double click, and hold. You can also set multiple actions to happen for each trigger.
How many actions can I have?
You can have different actions assigned to each of the three triggers: click, double click and hold. There is no limit to how many actions you can assign to each trigger.
You can also set a delay on specific actions by tapping the clock in the action settings screen. (Delays are not yet available on iOS)
There are some great actions available through the Flic app. Will there be even more actions available in the future?
Yes! We are currently working hard to add more actions straight from the Flic app. In addition to this, we are working with multiple partners to enable more functionalities directly through the partner apps.
Also, check out what you can do using services such as IFTTT and Zapier.
Is it true that the actions provided in the Flic app differ from iOS and Android?
Yes! Flic offers native apps for both Android and iOS devices, which means that the apps will run optimally on each device for the best user experience. This also means that the Flic team is working hard to develop each app separately.
Furthermore, there are different possibilities in iOS and in Android. Some functionality is easier to access in iOS and some is easier to access in Android. There are also different limitations in the two platforms, which mean that actions may differ.
How do I make Flic control other devices?
Flic can control many different third party devices, either directly through the Flic app or through internet services such as IFTTT.
If you find the third party device in the list of actions in this app, tap the action to set it up. If you can’t find it, there is a big chance that IFTTT can do it. Tap The IFTTT action and set up IFTTT separately in the IFTTT App.
IFTTT seems to offer some nice functionality together with Flic. What is IFTTT and how does it work?
IFTTT is a web-based service that allows users to create “customized actions” which can be triggered by, for example, the push of a Flic. IFTTT is therefore one way to make your Flic open your garage door, turn off the lights, post a tweet, or whatever you would like it to do.
To get started with Flic and IFTTT:
- Click the link you received in the Beta community email and log in to IFTTT
- Clic Connect
- Log in with the credentials that you use in the Flic App. (If you created an account with Facebook, log in with Facebook)
- Click on the “Click” Trigger
- Click “Create a new Recipe”
- Click “this”
- Select the “FlicTest” Trigger
- Click the “Click” Trigger (yes, again :/)
- Select the Flic Button that you want to run with IFTTT from the drop down menu
- Click “Create Trigger”
- Click “that” and select and configure the Action that you want
- Create the recipe
- In the Flic app: Add the IFTTT Action to the Flic you specified
There is something called SMS Credits under the main tab “Settings” in iOS. What is this and when are they used?
If you use an action which sends out SMS (for example the Distress signal), you need SMS credits in order to use the action. We are working hard to deliver the best service possible to you, and we only charge the cost price for each SMS.
I’M HAVING TROUBLES
My Flic is brand new, and the Flic is pulsating with red light when I push it, but I cannot connect my Flic to the Flic app. What shall I do?
- Make sure that Bluetooth is activated on your phone or tablet. Try to connect again.
- Make sure that you have an active internet connection. You need an internet connection in order to connect Flics to the app the first time. Try to connect again.
- Make sure that Flic is supported on your device. Check question 6 below.
- Restart your phone or tablet. Try to connect again.
- If nothing works, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
My Flic is not pulsating with red light and I cannot connect my Flic to the Flic app. What shall I do?
- Make sure your Flic is not already connected to your Flic app. When you click the Flic, one of the Flic images in the main screen should bounce if the Flic is connected.
- Your Flic could be connected to another app or device nearby. If this is the case, disconnect the Flic from that device. Tap the Flic symbol in the app to set up actions. Use the menu (three dots) in the top right corned. Push disconnect
- Flic can be out of battery. Please change the battery. Try to connect again.
- If nothing works, please contact email@example.com
I’m repeatedly getting “Couldn’t connect to Flic” during pairing. What shall I do?
- Make sure you are running the latest version of the Flic app.
- Try to connect your Flic to another device and update the firmware of the button.
I restarted my phone or tablet, and now my Flic is not working. What shall I do?
If you are using an iOS device, you need to manually restart the Flic app.
If you are using an Android device, this should not be a problem. If you still have problems with connecting your Flic, please read the other questions in this FAQ section.
What devices and operating systems are supported?
Flic is currently supported on:
- iPhone 4s & later with iOS 8.1 (or later)
- iPad 3rd generation & iPad Mini 1st generation (or later)
- iPod Touch 5th generation (or later)
- Selected Android devices using Android 4.4 or later with Bluetooth 4.0.
- Apple Mac computers with Bluetooth 4.0+ and OSX Sierra or later.
I need support and I can’t find the answers I’m looking for in this FAQ. What do I do?Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
What is Flic?
Flic is a wireless shortcut button that sticks to any surface and can trigger functions on your smartphone, such as playing your music or ordering a Taxi.
How do I trigger my Flic?
Flic connects to a smartphone (both iOS and Android) or tablet. When flic is pressed, it uses the device to activate a function predefined by the user. This function can either be something directly on the device – such as make a loud sound so the user can find it – or something else such as turning on a light or starting music on the stereo.
How many functions can I predefine my Flic with?
You can define different actions for Click, Double Click and Hold. There is no limit to how many things can happen at once when you press Flic. All actions are easily changed in the Flic app.
How does my Flic work?
Flic uses Bluetooth Low-energy (BLE) to communicate with your smartphone.
What is the range of my Flic?
Flic works up to 150 feet (50 meters) away from your device/smartphone.
How do I attach my Flic to a surface?
Flic comes with a double sided adhesive so you can stick it to any surface. If it gets dirty, just wash it with soap and it will be good as new. Flic’s battery hatch can also be exchanged to one with a clip-on (so you can wear Flic).
Can my Flic go outside?
Yes, Flic is weather-proof. It has been tested against the IP44 class.
What is my Flic’s battery life?
We have optimized the battery life to last as long as possible. For most use-cases it will last up to one year or more. Flic also has a replaceable battery.
To change the battery, stick your Flic to a flat surface. Gripping the silicon edges, gently screw the upper housing of the Flic counter clockwise. You’ll then be able to lift the top off and replace the battery with a regular coin cell battery (CR2016).
How many Flic’s can I have on one device?
This depends a little on the phone or tablet that you are using and on how you set up your Flics. Generally, you can have up to 10 Flics connected at the same time, say in your home. But then you can have 10 more in your car, and 10 more in your office. If you use other Bluetooth devices such as headsets, speakers or wearables, these connections may decrease the amount of Flics you can use at the same time.
How is my Flic different from a NFC-tag?
With NFC you always have to have the smartphone in your hand and scan your tags, considering that you scan it right and don’t have to rescan it. A lot of people don’t find NFC tags easy enough to use them in their everyday life.
With Flic on the other hand you can launch your actions with a simple press of a button, as long as the smartphone is somewhere nearby. The button interface is simple enough for (almost) everyone.
What material is my Flic made of?
The outside has a custom silicon rubbery coating that gives Flic an exclusive feel. The insides are made of durable high-quality plastics.
I want Flic to work with my app, what do I do?
Contact us at email@example.com